Location: Poughkeepsie, New York
The Physical Therapist, under physician orders, is responsible for the assessment and treatment of clients needing physical therapy services in the home setting. The therapist functions as a case manager in providing coordinated services to clients. Responsibilities include proficiency in physical assessment, health care teaching and appropriate intervention in accordance with standards of physical therapy practice. Population served: Diverse population of all ages residing in Dutchess County.
Clinical Skills and Knowledge
- Performs complete patient assessment including patient/family learning needs.
- Identifies key physical therapy diagnosis from the assessment data to address all pathophysiologic and psychosocial patient needs.
- Prioritizes physical therapy diagnoses and establishes data driven plan of care.
- Implements individualized plan of care and discharge plan including coordination with other disciplines utilizing clinical experience as a guide.
- Evaluates outcomes of plan-of-care and alters plan as needed. Researches and assists in the development of patient education tools.
- Documents patient's progress in a timely manner.
- Recognizes and intervenes in situations related to patient safety.
- Adheres to agency and hospital's policies and procedures. Supports and participates in changes affecting the department (policy revisions, special projects).
- Meets generic and department-based competencies.
- Advocates for patient well-being (i.e. religious/culture preferences, privacy, etc.)
- Communicates patient data in clear, concise and timely manner both in written and verbal form.
- Individualizes communication based upon assessment of patient/family.
- Conferences with case manager and other interdisciplinary team members per policy. Communicates patient progress toward goals every 2 weeks with appropriate team members 95% of time. Proactively requests teleconference to share appropriate issues with patient obstacles to goal achievement.
Management of Care
- Delegates and supervises patient care appropriately. Assists rehabilitation manager in performance appraisals. Covers for rehabilitation manager in his/her absence.
- Participates in agency based QI projects.Initiates an agency specific project related to clinical care of the patients.
- Manages patient care within assigned time frames. (90% = meets)
- Functions and upholds the professional standards of the physical therapy role via evidence based practice, interactions and appearance. Identifies potential areas of therapy research. Helps participate in orientation and presenting of staff as needed.
- Accepts accountability for own practice. Researches and assists in the development of staff education tools. Identifies potential learning needs of staff.
- Participates in 15 contact hours of education. Participates in additional 15 contact hours or 12 academic credits and shares knowledge with staff.
Performs other related duties as assigned.Requirements/Qualifications:
Minimum of two years experience in an acute care setting.
Graduation from an accredited school of physical therapy, minimum Bachelor's Degree.
Current license to practice physical therapy in New York.
- If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
- New York State driver's license
- Mental and physical health sufficient to meet demands of the position
- Ability to work both independently and with the health care team.Physical Demands
MidHudson Regional Home Health